At the top of this page there’s a link to another page called “Aren’t They Building” where GM lists various proposed projects around town. He would love to keep it up to date, but he only gets around to it occasionally, like today. Today, however, there aren’t too many updates, but there are some.
GM predicted Summer 2010, then fall 2010, and then January 2011 (with a question mark). Well this week the store finally had a soft open, however, GM hears behind the scenes turmoil is still delaying a full-scale open. Notwithstanding this, it should finally be genuinely open next week or the week after, but you never know.
GM last predicted it would open in February. They opened March 3. Close enough.
GM predicted a most recently a fall 2011 opening. That still is the smart pick (and GM hasn’t checked it recently, but he thinks that’s what the signs on the building say).
GM first predicted November 2010, and then spring 2011. Obviously neither came true. A rep left a comment saying that they hope to open by late summer.
GM thought it wouldn’t be open until June 2011. It opened at the end of April.
Calvin Klein Underwear
GM predicted fall 2011 and he’s sticking to that.
Georgetown Waterfront Phase II
GM predicted late 2010, than early 2011. It probably would have made these dates if they didn’t run into complications from previously undiscovered foundations of the Capital Traction Power Plant. However, after they secured financing, the project moved ahead and should be finished by August.
Georgetown Post Office
GM thought early 2011 at the earliest. Again, that obviously didn’t happen. The design concept was only just approved by the Old Georgetown Board. So construction probably won’t be completed until late 2012.
All these projects were already identified by GM. There have been a few new projects that have emerged since GM last cleaned up the list. They are:
- All Saints: This British clothier is moving in where
MACClub Monaco used to be. It should be open by late summer towards early fall.
- Billy Reid: Another clothier, it’s going in where Riccardi used to be on M St. GM predicts fall for this one.
- Jack Wills: Another British clothier, going in where
Tommy HillfigerOO Salon is. GM only just heard about this the other day, so he doubts it will be open until this winter.
- Saigon Bistro: This restaurant is moving in to the forlorn space previously containing the hidden gem, Arisu. It looks like it should be open pretty soon.
- Fuhggetaboutit: Discussed a lot yesterday, this pizza place is moving in to the old Philadelphia Cheesesteak Factory building. GM bets it will be open by the late summer.
- Michael Kors: This clothing store from a Project Runway host is moving in to the old White House/Black Market space (which was a Chico’s before that). This will probably be done relatively soon.
- International House of Pong: This concept restaurant is supposed to mix ping pong and food. They applied for a liquor license, but GM hasn’t heard anything since. He’s predicting an indefinite hold for now.