Georgetown Theater Sign Restored

IMG_8355

Yesterday the historic neon sign on the old Georgetown theater was restored. It was taken down as part of the building’s renovation last September¬†and sent to the same company that created it in the 1950s.

The restoration is beautiful. The swooping art moderne cap is especially noticeable. GM was surprised that the paint color chosen was blue. It was blue before the restoration, but GM believes it was actually painted black originally. GM can’t find it now, but he believes the sign was painted blue as part of the restoration done for filming of St. Elmo’s Fire:

Continue reading

Leave a comment

Filed under Uncategorized

The Morning Metropolitan

Photo by Marc Andre.

Good morning Georgetown, here’s the latest:

Leave a comment

Filed under Uncategorized

The Georgetown Metropolis

1300 block of 33rd St.

1300 block of 33rd St.

Leave a comment

Filed under Uncategorized

Farmers Market Coming to Hotel

1700 block of Wisconsin Ave.

Another farmers market is coming to Georgetown. From August through September, every other Saturday the Cappella Hotel on 31st St. will feature a market from Heathsville, Virginia.

The press release from the hotel promises that “farm-fresh produce ranging from juicy strawberries to perfectly ripe heirloom tomatoes and colorful purple carrots among a variety of other fruits and vegetables will be available for purchase. Visitors can also enjoy warm pastries and hand-filled jars of honey. ¬†Experienced farmers will be available to share their farming tips, culinary advice and more.” Continue reading

1 Comment

Filed under Uncategorized

The Morning Metropolitan

Photo by Paul Goddin.

Good morning Georgetown, here’s the latest:

Leave a comment

Filed under Uncategorized

The Georgetown Metropolis

unnamed (1)

Photo by L Current.

1 Comment

Filed under Uncategorized

Old Georgetown in Color: Summer Time (Cont.)

Canal

Back to the boys swimming in the canal for this week’s Old Georgetown in Color. Like the previous one, it’s from sometime between 1909 and 1919. It appears to be the same spot on the canal too. Continue reading

Leave a comment

Filed under Uncategorized