Tonight is the March ANC meeting. Among other items for consideration is the property once owed by Yarrow Mamout.
Quite a bit is known about Mamout. He was born in Guinea in 1736. At age 16 he was sold into slavery and brought to the American colonies. He could read and write in Arabic, evidence that historians believe proves that he came from a wealthy Muslim family. Upon arrival in Annapolis, Mamout was sold to the Beall family, whose patriarch founded Georgetown in the late 1690s.
And after more than 40 years in slavery, Mamout gained his freedom. He was 60.
Mamout used his brick-making skills to earn money, and four years after he was freed he had saved enough to purchase a lot on what is now known as Dent Place.
The house he occupied was destroyed in the middle of the 19th century. A wood frame house was built in its place, but after years of abject negligence, it was condemn and razed a few years ago.
While Mamout’s house is no more, there is a widely held belief that many artifacts relating to him-if not his body itself-are buried at the site. And that is the topic the ANC will address tonight: What efforts can and should be pursued to research this historically fertile lot? Come tonight to find out.
Other topics for tonight include a new building proposed for the Dominoes lot on Prospect, the future of the Jackson Art Center, and the cat cafe!
Here’s the full agenda:
ANC 2E Public Meeting
Monday, March 2, 2014
at 6:30 p.m.
We will be meeting this month at the Georgetown Visitation School, 35th and
Volta Place, first building on left by gatehouse, in the Heritage Room on the 2nd floor.
Approval of the Agenda
· Approval of March 2, 2015, ANC 2E Public Meeting Agenda
· Approval of January 2, 2015 and February 2, 2015 Meeting Minutes
· Public Safety and Police Report
· Financial Report
· Transportation Report
· DPW Report
· 3324 Dent Place, NW – historic significance of the property and a possible archeological survey
· Jackson Art Center building, 3050 R Street, NW – future use of the building
· Proposed decrease in bus service by WMATA on the D-1 and D-2 routes
· Bulldog Tavern, 3700 O Street, NW (on the GU Campus), ABRA-096001, application for a substantial change to its license to allow live music performance, trivia, karaoke, poetry readings, comedy and vocal performances Sunday through Saturday 8 pm – 12:30 am.
1. Crumbs & Whiskers, 3210 O St., NW, BZA No. 18954- exception to comply with animal boarding requirements for a cat adoption facility and café
2. 3220 Prospect Street, NW, BZA No.18977- variance relief from loading requirements
Old Georgetown Board
PUBLIC AND MAJOR PROJECTS
1. SMD 01, 1801 35th Street, NW, OG 15-128 (HPA 15-231), Fillmore School (Corcoran Art Center), Alterations to school and new townhouse construction, Concept – Preliminary/General
2. SMD 03, 3255-3259 Prospect Street, NW, OG 15-120 (HPA 15-223), Mixed use (currently Domino’s Pizza), New construction, Concept
1. SMD 02, 1544 33rd Street, NW, OG 15-057 (HPA 15-085), Residence, One-story rear addition, Concept
(For review by the Historic Preservation Review Board)
2. SMD 03, 3210 O Street, NW, OG 15-114 (HPA 15-207), Commercial, Signs and blade sign – Vaporfi, Permit
3. SMD 03, 3252 O Street, NW, OG 15-095 (HPA 15-183), Residence, Two-story rear addition, Concept
4. SMD 03, 3301 N Street, NW, OG 15-121 (HPA 15-224), Residence, Second story and underground additions, alterations, Concept.
5. SMD 03, 1513 Wisconsin Avenue, NW, OG 14-321 (HPA 14-602), Commercial, Rooftop and 3-story rear addition, Concept – revised
6. SMD 05, 1061 31st Street, NW, OG 15-110 (HPA 15-211), Commercial, Awning and signs – Canal Inn – Existing, Permit
7. SMD 05, 3205 K Street, NW, OG 15-109 (HPA 15-209), Commercial, Projecting sign – Mr. Smith’s, Permit
8. SMD 05, 3251 Prospect Street, NW, OG 15-080 (HPA 15-124), Mixed-use: commercial/residential, New doors, relocation of HVAC equipment to roof, Permit
9. SMD 05, 1218 Wisconsin Avenue, NW, OG 15-020 (HPA 15-033), Commercial,
Alterations to rear fence for incinerator, Permit
10. SMD 05,1225 Wisconsin Avenue, NW, OG 15-112 (HPA 15-215), Commercial, Replacement front windows, repointing rear and sides, Permit
11. SMD 06, 1236 28th Street, NW, OG 15-111 (HPA 15-212), Residence, Alterations to rear, replacement windows, deck, Concept
12. SMD 06, 3044 N Street, NW, OG 15-108 (HPA 15-200), Residence, Railings / planters at roof terrace above garage – Existing.
13. SMD 07, 1624 29th Street, NW, OG 15-122 (HPA 15-225, Residence, New open garage with roof terrace, Concept Continue reading