Tag Archives: Dean and Deluca

Now and a Long Time Ago: Potomac and M St.

This week on Now and a Long Time Ago, GM stops by M St. and Potomac. On this site sits the historic Georgetown Market. GM wrote about the history of this building a couple years ago:

As early as 1795 there was a market at what we now call 3276 M St. Throughout the 19th century the market waxed and waned. At times it was a produce market at other times it was a slave auction house. Eventually it was torn down and replaced in 1865 with the building that stands today. In the 20th century it saw almost steady decline. From 1945 until the 1970′s it housed Southern Distributors, an autoparts wholesaler (seen above in 1966). By the mid 1970′s it sat empty.

Interestingly, almost since the beginning the local government has owned the property. It was first conveyed to the Georgetown Corporation in 1803 and then became the property of the District when Georgetown was absorbed in 1871. It remains a District-owned property to this day.

As the quote states, the old photo above was taken the summer of 1966. In 1979, Western Development signed a lease with the city to run a farmers market in the building. After about 5 years of struggling, the market closed. It sat empty until 1992 when Dean and Deluca moved in.

While the lease for the building has bounced around various holders and subletters, the city still owns the property (it was originally built and owned by the municipality of Georgetown and ownership transferred to the city when Georgetown’s charter was revoked in 1871). Anyone fearful that the building could get redeveloped into some other use should be relieved to hear that the city is under a federal mandate to operate a market on the property. Continue reading

3 Comments

Filed under Now and a Long Time Ago

The Morning Metropolitan

Canal by aurelian.

Good morning Georgetown, here’s the latest:

  • Is Dean and Deluca closing? (The evidence was apparently empty shelves. GM checked last night and it looked pretty normal to him, so no, Dean and Deluca is not closing.)
  • Despite the rumors, there are no bouncers at Georgetown Cupcake, unless you count 16 year old girls as bouncers.

Share

Leave a comment

Filed under The Morning Metropolitan

The Morning Metropolitan

Photo by Knot.

Good morning Georgetown, here’s the latest:

Share

Leave a comment

Filed under The Morning Metropolitan

The Morning Metropolitan

Georgetown Visitation by John W.

Good morning Georgetown, here’s the latest:

  • DC Gastronome stops by Ching Ching Cha, declares it a non-secret secret gem.
  • Dean and Deluca is selling gourmet non-Oreo Oreos for $26 per pound.
  • Want an authentic Cuban movie or political poster? Stop by 3319 O St. NW this weekend from 10 am to 6 pm and pick yourself up a unique conversation piece.

Leave a comment

Filed under The Morning Metropolitan

The Morning Metropolitan

Good morning Georgetown, here’s the latest:

Photo of Baked and Wired fare by Flickr user Vasta used under Creative Commons.

Leave a comment

Filed under The Morning Metropolitan

Circa: October 1986

Phot courtesy of the Library of Congress

Introduction:

GM would like to introduce a new segment: Circa. For this segment, he will highlight an article about Georgetown from the Washington Post’s archive that captures a particular moment or issue from the past that has slipped into the fog of neighborhood history. The first article: “Georgetown Market’s Bitter Saga; Lease Drew Criticism, but Developer Says He Lost Millions” October 6, 1986. Hope you enjoy.

Background:

As early as 1795 there was a market at what we now call 3276 M St. Throughout the 19th century the market waxed and waned. At times it was a produce market at other times it was a slave auction house. Eventually it was torn down and replaced in 1865 with the building that stands today. In the 20th century it saw almost steady decline. From 1945 until the 1970′s it housed Southern Distributors, an autoparts wholesaler (seen above in 1966). By the mid 1970′s it sat empty.

Interestingly, almost since the beginning the local government has owned the property. It was first conveyed to the Georgetown Corporation in 1803 and then became the property of the District when Georgetown was absorbed in 1871. It remains a District-owned property to this day.

Circa October 1986:

Herb Miller’s Western Development took over a lease with the District in 1979 that called for it to operate the building as a market. Over the course of the convening six years, the market was a disaster. Continue reading

5 Comments

Filed under Circa