Counting Georgetown

Last December, an event happened that GM has been waiting for for years: the release of the five year estimates from American Community Survey. Sounds terribly dry, yes, but what it means is that data on a host of questions and categories has been released at the census tract level.

With this data, we can start to get an idea of what Georgetowners actually look like, and act like, and live like, etc. Before this release, the most current source of this information was the 2000 census.

Yes, those familiar with this data set be quick to point out that the margins of error on some of these statistics is huge. So you should take them with a grain of salt. But they’re certainly good enough to start the discussion, and they’re certainly the best we’ve got. (Also, it’s really important to keep in mind that these numbers are meant to be averages over the last five years, not a snapshot of today).

So that said, on to some of the first numbers!

According to the ACS, there are 8781 people in Georgetown. For the purposes of this article, GM is looking at census tracts 1 (east Georgetown) and 2.02 (west Georgetown). He’s not including census tract 2.01, which is the university.

Of those 8781 people, 4701 (54%) live in the east side and 4080 (46%) live in the west. There are 4732 households in Georgetown. On the east side there are 2921 (62%) homes and on the west, 1811 (38%). So the average number of residents per household is 1.61 on the east side, 2.25 on the west, and 1.86 for the whole neighborhood. So while the east side has a lot more homes, it’s a lot less dense.

Georgetown’s population is about 91% white. Of the remaining 9%, the sample sizes are just way too small to be able to say how it breaks out.

There are 949 children under the age of 18 in Georgetown. It surprised GM to see that of that 949, 59% live east of Wisconsin (overall, 54% of the population lives on the east side so it’s disproportionate). Children under the age of five (there are 519 of them) are gathered a bit more on the west side, which does fit with GM’s perceptions.

Finally, waaaay back in March of 2009, GM looked into the question of how many kids actually live in Georgetown. Based upon the 2000 numbers, GM found the under 18 population to be 9.09% of the population. Looking at how that number had grown since 1990, GM projected that the 2010 numbers would be 11.38%. According to the most recent numbers, the population under 18 is 10.8%. And considering that that is based on the average over the past five years, the actual number for today might actually be nearly spot on to GM’s prediction.

In fact, if anything the growth rate has increased. From 1990 to 2000, the child population increased 27.89%. If that continued, the five year average as if 2009 would be only 914. A number of 949 implies a growth rate closer to 34%. If that’s accurate, the number of children in 2010 would actually be close to 1050, putting the share over 12%. The baby boom in Georgetown is real.

Stay tuned for more fascinating numbers…

Advertisements

4 Comments

Filed under Demographics

4 responses to “Counting Georgetown

  1. Carol Joynt

    It would be good, therefore, to see more establishments that cater to the under 18 demographic.

  2. Pingback: Georgetown By the Numbers: Transportation | The Georgetown Metropolitan

  3. Pingback: Hyde-Addison on the Verge of an Historic Shift | The Georgetown Metropolitan

  4. Pingback: Georgetowners Continue to Get to Work More and More Without Driving | The Georgetown Metropolitan

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s