Next Monday, the ANC will meet for its October session. Here are some of the interesting topics they’ll discuss:
The DC government recently proposed a raft of regulations that would govern signage throughout the District, including Georgetown.
As it stands now, all signs in Georgetown (except temporary ones) are subject to review and approval by the Old Georgetown Board. And that’s going to continue to be the case. However, the proposed rules set forth some governing rules, including a short list of prohibited types of signs in Georgetown. Those include billboards, flashing neon signs, and “electrical” signs (among others). It’s unlikely that the OGB would ever approve such signs, but if these rules are adopted, then it will become even less likely.
Of course the rules are useless without enforcement, and there’s nothing in the proposed rules that would necessarily lead to more enforcement (in fact, by enacting new rules that apply city-wide, the regulations would only spread enforcement thinner). So what effect they would have is anyone’s guess.
The ANC will be discussing these rules at the meeting. They will most likely focus on some ambiguities in the proposed rules (like where the jurisdiction of the OGB and the DC Historical Preservation office overlap).
3000 Block of R St.
On the agenda are the Hurt Home project and the Jackson Art Center, both on the 3000 block of R St. (GM’s old haunt). GM has no clue what is going to be discussed in relation to these buildings. The construction for the Hurt Home Condos (now dubbed “The Montrose”) appears to be going ahead full-steam. But seeing a construction site show up on an ANC agenda isn’t so odd. What’s odd is the inclusion of the Jackson Art Center. This collection of artist studios is housed in an old public elementary school, a school still owned by the District.
When the city was going through the disposition process for the Hurt Home, GM heard some grumblings from some affiliated with the Jackson Art Center that maybe this would lead the city to turn the school into condos too once the art center’s lease was up in a few years. Is this why it’s on the agenda? GM has no idea, we’ll see.
Update: A reader pointed out to GM that he misread the agenda. The Hurt Home isn’t actually on the agenda. The agenda lists the address of 3050 R St., which is the Hurt Home, not the Jackson School, but that’s probably a mistake. So it looks like just the Jackson School is on the agenda.
Georgetown hardly ever sees any residential raze permits sought these days. But one was recently applied for at 3324 Dent Place. It’s rather a shame really. The house is probably the oldest house on the block and is the last example of an earlier generation of wood frame houses that existed prior. Unfortunately the house has come into disrepair. And that was before a tree fell onto it during Hurricane Irene. Given it’s terrible shape, GM suspects the raze permit will be granted, but it’s a loss nonetheless.
Here’s the rest of the agenda:
GOVERNMENT OF THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA
Advisory Neighborhood Commission 2E
3265 S Street, NW • Washington, DC 20007
(202) 724-7098 • firstname.lastname@example.org • www.anc2e.com
ANC 2E Public Meeting
Monday, October 1, 2012
at 6:30 p.m.
We will be meeting this month at the Georgetown Visitation School, 35th and Volta Place, Heritage Room, first building on left by gatehouse, 2nd floor
Approval of the Agenda
§ Approval of October 1, 2012, ANC 2E Public Meeting Agenda
§ Approval of September 4, 2012, Meeting Minutes
§ Public Safety and Police Report
§ Financial Report –
Proposed ANC 2E FY 2013 Budget
Reauthorization of Executive Director employment and salary for FY 2013
§ Transportation Report
§ DPW Report
- ANC2E Commendation to honor Georgetown Visitation Preparatory School for community engagement and generosity
- DDOT proposed regulations on private signage in public space (e.g., freestanding triangular advertising signs on the sidewalks) and on private property
- 3050 R Street NW, Jackson Arts Center
- 1075 Thomas Jefferson Street, NW, ABRA-089867, Hotel Monticello, application for liquor license
Historic Preservation – Raze Permit Application
- SMD 02, 3324 Dent Place, NW, OG 12-348 (HPA 12-583) Residence, Raze building, Permit (for the Historic Preservation Review Board)
Old Georgetown Board
1. SMD 03, 3321 N Street, NW, OG 12-358 (HPA 12-593) Residence, One- and two-story rear additions, new window well on front façade, Concept
2. SMD 03, 1424 Wisconsin Avenue, NW, OG 12-292 (HPA 12-480) Commercial, Reconstruction of collapsed building, rooftop addition, Concept
3. SMD 03, 1424 Wisconsin Avenue, NW, OG 12-340 (HPA 12-557) Commercial, Reconstruction of collapsed building, addition of third floor, Concept
4. SMD 05, 3222 M Street, NW, OG 12-294 (HPA 12-482) Georgetown Park, Sign scheme: canopy and banners, Concept – revised design
5. SMD 05, 3251 Prospect Street, NW, OG 12-353 (HPA 12-588) Mixed use, Alterations for new window openings, Permit
6. SMD 06, 2805 M Street, NW, OG 12-355 (HPA 12-590) Commercial, Replacement windows, Permit
7. SMD 06, 3029 M Street, NW, OG 12-351 (HPA 12-586) Commercial, Sign scheme for “Scotch & Soda,” Permit – options
8. SMD 06, 2718 P Street, NW, OG 12-346 (HPA 12-580) Residence, Shed at rear, Permit
9. SMD 06, 3100 P Street, NW, OG 12-363 (HPA 12-600) Residence, 2-story rear addition (at 2nd and 3rd floors), Concept
10. SMD 06, 3138 P Street, NW, OG 12-350 (HPA 12-585) Residence, 2-story addition to in-fill courtyard, Concept
11. SMD 06, 1510 31st Street, NW, OG 12-066 (HPA 12-116) Commercial, Roof deck – existing (shed removed), Permit
12. SMD 07, 1645 31st Street, NW, OG 12-356 (HPA 12-591) Residence, Williams-Addison House, also known as Oak Crest and Friendly Estate, Underground parking garage, Concept
13. SMD 07, 2523 P Street, NW, OG 12-349 (HPA 12-584) Residence, Rear addition of sunroom, Permit
14. SMD 07, 3247 R Street, NW, OG 12-357 (HPA 12-592) Residence, Raze existing structure at rear, new one-story building with basement at rear, Concept
No Review At This Time by ANC 2E: The following additional projects, which are on the upcoming October 4 agenda of the Old Georgetown Board, have not been added to the ANC meeting agenda for OGB-related design review and we do not propose to adopt a resolution on them at this time. If there are concerns about any of these projects, please contact the ANC office by Friday, September 28, 2012.
1. SMD 01, 3409 R Street, NW (also known as 3413 R Street, NW), OG 12-364 (HPA 12-601) Residence, Raze metal garage, new metal garage structure, Permit
2. SMD 01, 1700 Wisconsin Avenue, NW, OG 12-322 (HPA 12-539) Residential (Dumbarton Oaks), Rear addition and alterations, Concept – revised design
3. SMD 02, 1661 35th Street, NW, OG 12-171 (HPA 12-282) Residence, Three-story rear addition, in-fill areaway, one-story side addition, alterations, Concept – revised design
4. SMD 02, 3240 Q Street, NW, OG 12-179 (HPA 12-290) Residence, 2-story rear addition with basement, alterations, Concept – revised design
5. SMD 02, 3406 Q Street, NW, OG 12-362 (HPA 12-597) Residence, Replace front door, Permit
6. SMD 02, 3416 Reservoir Road, NW, OG 12-332 (HPA 12-549) Residence, New screened gazebo at rear, Permit – additional information
7. SMD 03, 3522 P Street, NW, OG 12-309 (HPA 12-524) Residence, Replacement windows, Permit – revised design
8. SMD 03, 1438 Wisconsin Avenue, NW, OG 12-342 (HPA 12-573) Commercial, Rear fence, Permit
9. SMD 04, 3700 O Street, NW, OG 12-291 (HPO 12- 479) Georgetown University – Athletic Training Facility, New construction, Concept –design development
10. SMD 05, 3251 M Street, NW, OG 12-354 (HPA 12-589) Commercial, Replace front windows, Permit
11. SMD 05, 3291 M Street, NW, OG 12-338 (HPA 12-555) Commercial, Sign scheme for “Good Stuff Eatery”, alterations to storefront, Permit – revised design
12. SMD 05, 1000 Potomac Street, NW, OG 12-333 (HPA 12-550) Flour Mill office building, Replacement storefront windows and doors, Permit – revised design
13. SMD 06, 1318 28th Street, NW, OG 12-359 (HPA 12-594) Residence, Alterations, Permit
14. SMD 06, 1300 30th Street, NW, OG 12-347 (HPA 12-581) Residence, Shutters, Permit
15. SMD 06, 1518 31st Street, NW, OG 12-320 (HPA 12-537) Residence, 1-story rear addition, alterations, Concept – revised design
16. SMD 06, 3101 M Street, NW, OG 12-308 (HPA 12-522) Commercial / office, Replacement windows, Permit
17. SMD 06, 3121 O Street, NW, OG 12-305 (HPA 12-516) Residence, Replacement windows, Permit
18. SMD 06, 2913 Q Street, NW, OG 12-304 (HPA 12-508) Residence, Solar panels, mechanical duct work on roof – existing, Permit
19. SMD 06, 3062 Q Street, NW, OG 12-318 (HPA 12-535) Residence, Alterations to rear, replacement windows, Permit
20. SMD 06, 2803 Dumbarton Street, NW, OG 12-352 (HPA 12-587) Residence, Replacement windows, Permit
21. SMD 06, 2908 Dumbarton Street, NW, OG 12-366 (HPA 12-603) Residence, Skylight, Permit – revision
22. SMD 06, 3041 West Lane Keys, NW, OG 12-360 (HPA 12-595) Residence, Addition of front dormer, Permit
23. SMD 06, 1267 Wisconsin Avenue, NW, OG 12-343 (HPA N/A) Commercial, Sign scheme for “Jonathan Adler Furniture,” Permit
24. SMD 07, 1632 32nd Street, NW, OG 12-365 (HPA 12-602) Residence, Shed structures behind fence, Permit
25. SMD 07, 1687 32nd Street, NW, OG 12-361 (HPA 12-596) Residence, Replacement rooftop mechanical equipment, removal of exposed duct work, Permit
26. SMD 07, 2516 Mill Road, NW, OG 12-314 (HPA 12-530) Residence, Rear addition and alterations, Concept – revised design
27. SMD 07, 1673 Wisconsin Avenue, NW, OG 12-345 (HPA 12-579) Commercial, Sign scheme for “Meridian Health & Relaxation,” Permit – options
One response to “ANC Preview: I Saw the Sign Edition”
Pingback: ANC Round Up: Seeing Signs Edition | The Georgetown Metropolitan