As part of his occassional series on the buildings that once made up Georgetown’s industrial waterfront, GM turns to Ray’s Warehouse, which once stood at 3260 and 3262 K St.
Name: Ray’s Warehouse
Built By: Ray family
Current Use: Demolished 1974
A little while ago, GM wrote about Bomford’s Mill at the corner of Grace and Potomac St. It was one of a few prosperous flour mills that used water power from the canal. Another of these flour mills was built by Alexander Ray and his two sons. It was built in 1847, just two years after Bomford’s Mill. In fact, the Rays had to “sublet” 100 inches of water pressure from Bomford (Bomford had rights to 400 inches). Eventually the mill built for the Ray’s was torn down and rebuilt as the building that currently stands at the corner of Potomac and K.
To provide storage space for the mill and to have a dock, the Ray family built a warehouse on the 3262 K St. property, which they had acquired in 1853. Previous to the construction of the warehouse, the property was vacant.