Photo courtesy of the Historical Society of Washington DC.
This week on Georgetown Time Machine, GM is exploring a new archive to him: the archive of the Historical Society of Washington DC. This archive has a huge collection of old photos of the city, including dozens and dozens from Georgetown.
Today is a photo of the Georgetown market, which until July was home to Dean and Deluca. This photo is of the building between 1923 and 1927. At the time it hosted Sherby’s Market. GM couldn’t find too much information about this market, but it appears to have had multiple locations. For instance, in the 1940s there was a Sherby’s Market at 7th and D St. NW (which was part of Central Market).
Even in the 1920s, this building was already pretty old. It was built in 1865, replacing an even older building that stood there since 1795. While it was not designed by the great Washington architect, Adolph Cluss, it resembles Cluss’s Eastern and Central Markets.
Little has changed to the exterior of the building since the 20s. Even the flag pole is still there (although GM has never seen it actually used). The angle of the shot makes it look like the building had two smoke stacks, but those are from buildings further to the south. The smoke stack on the right is still there.
The large type “MARKET” sign is no longer there. That was gone even by the 1960s:
And obviously the building to the left is completely different. GM is not certain, but he believes they were not torn down until the 1980s when Herb Miller’s Western Development built Georgetown Park, which still stands.