As GM was writing his article earlier this week concerning the future (and past) of Hardy Middle School, he dove into the history of the various names the building has had over the years. And it occurred to him that he has yet to gather all the names of the various historic school buildings in Georgetown and note the inspiration for their names. (Although he did once run a series on all of the buildings themselves). Here they are:
Hyde – Constructed in 1907 as a white school and named after Anthony J. Hyde, a Georgetown businessman and schools advocate. Still in use as school.
Addison – Constructed 1885 as a white school and named for former mayor of Georgetown, Henry Addison. Still in use as school.
Curtis – Constructed 1875 as a white school and was named for President of the Board of Trustees for Georgetown schools, William Wallace Curtis. It was demolished in 1951. It stood where the Hyde-Addison playground is now.
Phillips – Constructed 1890 as a black school and named for abolitionist Wendell Phillips. Converted to condos.
Corcoran – Constructed 1889 as a white school and named after Georgetown mayor Thomas Corcoran. Used as the Qatar Defense Attaché.
Wormley – Constructed 1885 as a black school and named for black businessman James Wormley. Converted to condos.
Jackson – Constructed 1890 as a white school and named for Andrew Jackson. Used as the Jackson Art Center.
Fillmore – Constructed 1893 as a white school and named for Millard Fillmore. Owned by Halcyon House.
Hardy – Constructed 1925 as a white middle school and named after Assistant Superintendent Rose Hardy, previously called Gordon Junior High after Georgetown lawyer and school board member James Gordon. Still in use as school.