This week for Georgetown Time Machine, GM is checking out another photo from the Willard R. Ross postcard collection. It’s from November 12, 1910 and shows a football game between Georgetown and UVA.
The game was taking place on Georgetown Field, otherwise known as Varsity Field. It once stood north of Healy Hall where now Copley and White-Gravenor Halls stand. It was built 1894 and remained until 1930. It hosted both the baseball and football teams:
Georgetown first started playing football in 1889, just twenty years after the very first college football game. The team first played on the old Georgetown Field, which was what was there before the stadium above was built. They spent a couple years playing at American Park (where the Nationals played at the time) before moving to the new Georgetown Field in 1894. They played here until 1920, at which point they moved to Griffith Stadium. They played there until 1951 when the team was disbanded. (It was reformed as a varsity sport in the 1970s).
The fight call “Hoya, Hoya Saxa” was already in use by the time of this game with UVA. The sounds of it being shouted was in the air that day; Georgetown won 15-0.
The stands on the left of the field were actually built specifically for this game and it helped the team achieve a record crowd:
It was the first time Georgetown beat UVA since 1901.
One response to “Georgetown Time Machine: What Rocks”
The name I recall is “Hilltop Field,” but both may well have been used. The field was repurposed in the 1920s to accommodate an ambitious plan for a “Greater Georgetown.” President W. Coleman Nevils, SJ., envisioned a new quadrangle, comprising a large classroom and office building on the north side of the field, roughly where the grandstand was located, flanked by two residence halls on the south. White-Gravenor, the classroom building, and Copley Hall, the westernmost residence, were finished before the Great Depression ended further campus construction until after World War II.