Tag Archives: Godey Lime Kilns

On the Waterfront: The Godey Lime Kilns

Circa 1930s

As part of his occassional series on the formerly industrial Georgetown waterfront, GM turns his attention to the Godey Lime Kilns. The kilns once stood on the east bank of Rock Creek just at the terminus of the C & O Canal.

Name: The Godey Lime Kilns

Built By: William M. Godey

Date: 1864

Current Use: Only ruins left

William M. Godey began his lime-making business in Washington in 1854. In 1864, he moved his business to just outside Georgetown where the canal meets Rock Creek.

On this site he erected five kilns to burn the limestone coming down the canal to convert it to quicklime: Continue reading

1 Comment

Filed under On the Waterfront