Tag Archives: Waterfront

Water Balloon Fight Down at the Waterfront Planned

Photo by Davidjlee.

GM gets a lot of press releases in his email announcing events around the city. Since he doesn’t have time to keep up a calender, or the like, he ends up ignoring most of them. But once in a while one comes along that is just too awesome not to announce. And the phrase “balloon fight” is one that’s going to grab GM’s attention. And so with that, GM is happy to announce that the BID is hosting its first Waterfront Summer Celebration.

The party will take place Sunday June 26th from 12 – 3 down at the Washington Harbour. It will feature food and drinks from Tony and Joes. Then the fun will begin. First it will host a water balloon tossing contest (like an egg toss but with water balloons). Then at about 2:00, the water balloon fight will begin.

GM has no idea how this will be organized, but it’s probably going to be a total blast, so come on down. Continue reading

Advertisements

4 Comments

Filed under Events

The Georgetown Metropolis

The waterfront

2 Comments

Filed under The Georgetown Metropolis

The Georgetown Metropolis

The Waterfront

Leave a comment

Filed under The Georgetown Metropolis

On the Waterfront: The Godey Lime Kilns

Circa 1930s

As part of his occassional series on the formerly industrial Georgetown waterfront, GM turns his attention to the Godey Lime Kilns. The kilns once stood on the east bank of Rock Creek just at the terminus of the C & O Canal.

Name: The Godey Lime Kilns

Built By: William M. Godey

Date: 1864

Current Use: Only ruins left

William M. Godey began his lime-making business in Washington in 1854. In 1864, he moved his business to just outside Georgetown where the canal meets Rock Creek.

On this site he erected five kilns to burn the limestone coming down the canal to convert it to quicklime: Continue reading

1 Comment

Filed under On the Waterfront

On The Waterfront: Bomford’s Mill

As part of his series On the Waterfront, GM has been exploring the buildings that once made up Georgetown’s industrial heart. Today he turns to Georgetown’s last operating mill: Bomford’d Mill at the corner of Grace St. and Potomac.

Name: Bomford’s Mill

Built By: George Bomford

Constructed: 1845

Current Use: Office Space

George Bomford was born in New York City in 1782. By 1804, Bomford enlisted in the Army where he had a successful career and was regarded as an expert in munitions. In fact, he invented the influential Columbiad, a seacoast defense cannon. The name Columbiad derived from a poem by Joel Barlow. In fact, Bomford married Barlow’s sister-in-law and purchased the Kalorama estate from his widow’s estate.

Bomford constructed the first mill on this site probably in 1832. It was a flour mill. However, it burned down in September 1844. The following year, rather than rebuild a flour mill, Bomford built a cotton factory. There are slightly conflicting accounts for the switch, but the most likely explanation is that there was less competition in the cotton market than in the grist mill market.

According to the records of the Columbia Historical Society, Bomford constructed a four story building with an immense water wheel. The interior contained 3,000 spindles and 100 looms. Over 100 men and women worked in the cotton factory. Continue reading

2 Comments

Filed under On the Waterfront

The Morning Metropolitan

Photo by Aurelian.

Good morning Georgetown, here’s the latest:

Share

Leave a comment

Filed under The Morning Metropolitan

The Morning Metropolitan

Photo by Kevin H.

Good morning Georgetown, here’s the latest:

Share

Leave a comment

Filed under The Morning Metropolitan