This week for Georgetown Time Machine, GM is visiting a stout looking horse. This particular horse was a fire horse from Engine Co. No. 5, which was once housed at 3212 M St.
The photo comes again from the Henry Wagner collection at the Historical Society of Washington, DC. The info lists the photo as being from between 1900 and 1910. Engine Co. No. 5 occupied that address from 1883 to 1940. The building (which now hosts Aritzia) has quite a history. Prior to being a firehouse, it was the city hall for Georgetown, when the neighborhood was its own city.
Here’s how it looked in 1960, after the Fire Co. was merged with another and moved:
The property was lots of things since then, including a garage for sanitation trucks, a planned museum to firefighting that never came to fruition, and a Burger King. It’s been a high end women’s clothing store of various brands since it has been owned by Eastbanc.
Fire Engine Co. No. 5 lives on in Georgetown. They occupy the firehouse on Dent Place between 34th and 35th. No horses though.