This week for Georgetown Time Machine, GM is exploring a fantastic photo of some baseball champs. The subject is the Georgetown Athletics, a baseball team from the Herring Hill community of east Georgetown. The year is 1933, and they had recently been crowned District champions.
The Black Georgetown Twitter account offered this description of some of the individuals in the photo:
Hugh Butler of 2708 O St. NW in Georgetown and his 2 brothers Ottoway and Charlie on the local baseball team 1933.Hugh Butler is in 2nd row kneeling 4th in from right. Charlie Butler is kneeling 3rd in from right and Ottoway Butler Jr. is kneeling 2nd row 1st on left.
As for where the photo is, after mulling it over, GM believes this is in Rose Park, looking north across the basketball court to the 2600 block of O St. This was his initial guess, but the homes in the background didn’t quite line up with what’s there now. But looking at older maps, GM sees that most of the homes on that block were added after the 1930s. The two houses on the right appear to be 2619 and 2621 O St. (although it would appear they moved the chimneys at some point.)
The team played in the “Colored Tournament” in August of that year. They started off playing against Aztec A.C.:
A couple weeks later they continued with games against the Hillsdales
And it continued into mid September:
Unfortunately GM couldn’t find a report of their ultimate triumph…
2 responses to “Georgetown Time Machine: Sandlot Champs”
What a remarkable and important photograph! The background two houses on the right are definitely (R-L) 2619 and 2621 O Street, NW. The current 2617 O Street was constructed in 1942 where the heavy tree foliage to the right of 2619 is seen. The house on the left of the trio is today’s 2623 O Street, NW. A 1941 remodeling of 2623 doubled the O Street elevation and the old and new facades were unified with brick siding. Copies of this photo have been placed in the Peabody Room, Georgetown Neighborhood Library.
Correction. The width of 2623 O Street, NW was increased by 1/3 in 1941.