Last week GM detailed some changes to the D Series bus schedule. One thing that confused him was that WMATA had been contemplating changes for the D Series for quite some time. Yet the changes announced last week appeared to be part of a systemic not targeted change. The website for the D Series study is now essentially wiped of all mention of the D Series Study.
GM reached out to WMATA and got confirmation that the changes announced last week are indeed the end result of this year’s study. Following his inquiry a press release was issued clarifying the matter.
This is a little odd since the changes announced last week only partially resemble the changes considered last winter. Here’s how the two plans break-down:
The Original Plan:
- Extend the D2 to Union Station (this was pulled from consideration last March)
- Cut the D6 up into two pieces, with every third westbound D6 ending at Dupont
- Extend the D4 all the way from Ivy City to Sibley
- Small rerouting fixes
The Plan Announced Last Week
- Keep D2 the same, but stop the D1 at Federal Triangle
- Introduce two short trip D6 routes that split the overall route at Farragut
- The D3 no longer will go to Georgetown (it’s a reverse commuter route that primarily is designed to serve DCPS students), it will stop at Dupont
- The D4 will not reach Georgetown; it will end at Franklin Square
- D5 will extend its nighttime hours. WMATA is a little tricky about describing this. In the release they describe it as “Two additional westbound buses will be scheduled to depart at 3:20 and 6:55 p.m. from Farragut Square.” That would sound like they’ve added two new buses to the schedule. In fact they only added one more bus; they extended the schedule a little further more by extending the headways (i.e. the wait between buses).
- No short cuts announced Continue reading