Tonight ANC2E will meet for the final time in 2011. And the most important item on the agenda doesn’t even directly relate to Georgetown.
As you may have read in the Current, Glover Park has worked with DDOT to reconfigure Wisconsin Ave. through that neighborhood. These changes came in response to two recent pedestrian fatalities and a serious injury, all of which have come on the stretch of Wisconsin Ave. through Glover Park. And in particular, the stretch of Wisconsin south of W Pl. is very dangerous to pedestrians because it is unnecessarily wide, which encourages cars to drive unnecessary fast, and it has several crosswalks without crossing lights. While increased enforcement can make a minor difference in driver behavior, the most effective way to change drivers’ behavior is to change the road. This is the approach that Glover Park’s leaders took.
So they worked with DDOT to develop a plan to widen the sidewalks (which are way too narrow) and limit Wisconsin Ave. to one lane in each direction. Parking would be limited during rush hour to provide an extra traffic lane during those hours. (Update: The changes are even better. They’ll include a traffic median and some left turn lanes. Here are the plans: http://anc3b.org/issues/roadway-streetscape-pedestrian-safety/) These are changes that have been public and long discussed among Glover Park residents and leaders, and its perfectly reasonable for Glover Park to take these measures in response to the clear and present hazard created by the current situation.
So enter ANC2E, or more specifically, Commissioner Bill Starrells, who objects to these changes. The stated concern is that by limiting traffic on Wisconsin Ave. it will encourage more traffic in the side-streets. This is a baseless fear. Wisconsin Ave. is only one lane in each direction from R St. down to Q St. And the rest of Wisconsin Ave. through Georgetown has essentially the same traffic configuration that Glover Park is proposing to extend up through to their neighborhood: one travel and parking lane in each direction. Thus this change does not add a bottleneck, it simply moves the bottleneck up the road. If anything, this will smooth the flow of traffic since much of the congestion on Wisconsin Ave. in front of the Safeway is caused by the merging of two lanes down to one. Whatever congestion benefits arise from having four traffic lanes for a short stretch of road are eliminated by the delays caused by the merger.
Moreover, DDOT’s engineers looked specifically at the question of congestion and cut-through traffic and concluded that the change would not result in an material increase of either.
Yet nonetheless, Starrells wants the ANC to derail the process of how another neighborhood decides to deal with a hazardous problem in its own midst. One can just imagine how ANC2E would feel if the Glover Park ANC tried to do the same to Georgetown.
It’s worth mentioning, that the commissioners of the districts that would be most affected by an increase in cut-through traffic (Solomon and Lewis) won’t be at the meeting.
The meeting starts tonight at 6:30. Here’s the rest of the agenda:
GOVERNMENT OF THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA
ANC 2E Public Meeting
Monday, November 28, 2011
at 6:30 p.m.
We will be meeting this month at the Georgetown Visitation School, 35th and Volta Place, Heritage Room, first building on left by gatehouse, 2nd floor
AGENDA (view as pdf)
Approval of the Agenda
- Approval of November 28, 2011, ANC 2E Public Meeting Agenda
- Approval of October 3, 2011 Meeting Minutes
- Approval of November 1, 2011 Meeting Minutes
- Public Safety and Police Report
- Financial Report – 4th Quarter Financial Report
- Transportation Report
- Public Works Report
- DDOT proposal for Wisconsin Avenue from S Street to Calvert Street – one-lane north- and south-bound except in the a.m. and p.m. rush periods, adding bike lanes, and widening sidewalks
- Grace Street and Cecil Place, NW, BZA Application No. 18292, Application for special exception and variance relief to allow the construction of a 3 level plus mezzanine building
(Hearing date Dec. 20, 2011)
- SMD 05, 1206 Wisconsin Avenue, NW, Best Wing, Inc. t/a Blue Gin, ABRA-017458, application for a substantial change to add a summer garden with 120 seats (license is currently in safekeeping). Petition date: December 27, 2011. Hearing date: January 9, 2012
The following business has applied to renew its ABC License (Petition Date 12/5/11, Hearing Date 12/19/11) The ANC does not propose to adopt a resolution on them at this time. If there are concerns about any of these projects, please contact the ANC office by Friday, November 25, 2010.
- SMD 04, 1236 36th Street, NW, License No. ABRA-005950, Wisemillers Grocery & Deli
SMD 06, 3051 M Street, NW, National Park Service, Old Stone House, Replacement stairs, Final
- SMD 06, 1248 30th Street, NW, OG 12-036 (HPA 12-066) Residence, Alterations to garage for new windows and door, Concept
- SMD 06, 1249 Wisconsin Avenue, NW, OG 12-027 (HPA 12-055) Retail, Blade sign for UGG Australia, Permit
- SMD 07, 2823 Q Street, NW, OG 12-039 (HPA 12-069) Residence, Rear opening alterations, lighting, Concept
- SMD 07, 1669 Wisconsin Avenue, NW, OG 12-029 (HPA 12-059) Commercial, Alterations to window, awning and sign for Macaron Bee, Concept
- SMD 01, 1738 Wisconsin Avenue, NW, OG 12-026 (HPA 12-053) Residential (?), 3-story rear addition to 2-story building, and roof top deck, Permit / Concept
- SMD 03, 1525 34th Street, NW, OG 12-044 (HPA 12-074) Residence Relocation of front door to side, alterations, Concept
- SMD 03, 1525 34th Street, NW, OG 12-045 (HPA 12-075) Residence, Alterations to side and rear, Permit
- SMD 03, 3254 O Street, NW, OG 12-046 (HPA 12-076) Residence, Partial demolition, reconstruction of garage with enlarged footprint and second floor, trellis, Permit – design
- SMD 03, 1432 Wisconsin Avenue, NW, OG 12-025 (HPA 12-041) Retail, Sign for DC Jewelry Center, rolling grille, Permit / Concept
- SMD 05, 3259 M Street, NW, OG 12-038 (HPA 12-068) Commercial, Alterations at rear, raise roof, Concept
No Review At This Time by ANC 2E: The following additional projects, which are on the upcoming November 3 agenda of the Old Georgetown Board, have not been added to the ANC meeting agenda for OGB-related design review and we do not propose to adopt a resolution on them at this time. If there are concerns about any of these projects, please contact the ANC office by Friday, November 25, 2010.
- SMD 01, 3800 Reservoir Road, NW, OG 12-034 (HPA 12-064) Georgetown University – MedStar Hospital, Replacement antenna, new antenna, Permit
- SMD 01, 3800 Reservoir Road, NW, OG 12-042 (HPA 12-072) MedStar Georgetown University Hospital, Awnings and sign scheme, Permit
- SMD 01, 3800 Reservoir Road, NW, OG 12-043 (HPA 12-073) MedStar Georgetown University Hospital, Sign scheme, Permit
- SMD 02, 1500 35th Street, NW, OG 12-047 (HPA 12-077) Visitation Monastery, Repair/rebuild brick wall, Permit
- SMD 02, 1500 35th Street, NW, OG 12-030 (HPA 12-060) Visitation Monastery, Reconstruction of slate roof on shed – in progress, Permit
- SMD 02, 3416 Reservoir Road, NW, OG 12-032 (HPA 12-062) Residence, Replacement windows at side and rear, Permit
- SMD 02, 3323 Reservoir Road, NW, OG 11-265 (HPA 11-447) Residence, Alterations to front stairs – existing, Permit – revised design
- SMD 02, 3217 Volta Place, NW, OG 12-040 (HPA 12-070) Residence, Replacement windows, front stairs and door surround, Permit
- SMD 03, 1522 33rd Street, NW, OG 12-028 (HPA 12-058) Residence, Replacement rear fence, Permit
- SMD 03, 3615 O Street, NW, OG 12-037 (HPA 12-067) Residential, Alterations to rear, Permit
- SMD 05, 1037 33rd Street, NW, OG 12-031 (HPA 12-061) Commercial, Alterations to storefront, rear addition, Permit
- SMD 05, 3030 K Street, NW, OG 12-033 (HPA 12-063) Residences at Washington Harbour, Alterations to curtain wall and awnings at units 111 and 113, Permit
- SMD 05, 2928 M Street, NW, OG 12-035 (HPA 12-065) Commercial, Sign scheme for “Giotto Niccolo” and awnings, Permit
- SMD 05, 2934 M Street, NW, OG 11-263 (HPA 11-444) Commercial, Awning and sign for Vietnam Georgetown, rear alterations – existing, Permit – revised design
- SMD 05, 3132 M Street, NW, OG 12-024 (HPA 12-026) Commercial (German TV), Replacement windows, Permit
- SMD 05, 3249 M Street, NW, OG 11-251 (HPA 11-431) Mixed-use: commercial / residential
- SMD 05, 3299 M Street, NW, OG 11-281 (HPA 11-491) Commercial, Alterations to fenestration, Concept – revised design
- SMD 05, 3248 N Street, NW, OG 12-016 (HPA 12-016) Residence, Alterations to front, Permit – revised design
- SMD 05, 3250 N Street, NW, OG 12-018 (HPA 12-018) Residence, Demolition of rear apartment wing, Permit
- SMD 05, 3248 N Street, NW, OG 12-049 (HPA 12-079) Residence, Alterations to rear, Permit – revised design
- SMD 05, 2810-12 Pennsylvania, Avenue, NW, OG 12-014 (HPA 12-014) Four Seasons Hotel – Eno Wine Bar, Rear addition with basement, window replacements, signs and awnings, Concept – revised design
- SMD 06, 1343 27th Street, NW, OG 12-007 (HPA 12-007), Residence, Replacement windows, relocate gas meter, Permit
- SMD 06, 1231-35 31st Street, NW, OG 12-048 (HPA 12-078), Residence, Alterations to openings at rear, Permit
- SMD 07, 1623 28th Street, NW, OG 12-041 (HPA 12-071) Residence, New garage structure, Permit