There is a long held myth in DC that the reason there’s no Metro stop in Georgetown is that rich Georgetowners objected and kept it out (the myth normally implies, or just states, that the motivation for fighting the Metro was racist.) This is not true. It really can’t be said enough times: the reason there’s no Metro stop in Georgetown has nothing to do with any protests from Georgetowners. Period.
Yet the myth persists, probably because it both confirms and is perpetuated by common stereotypes about Georgetowners.
Jump to today. Metro is currently pulling together ambitious plans for what the system will look like by the middle of this century. Among the menu of options the long term planners are considering is a brand new Metro line through the heart of downtown, with one or even two stops in Georgetown.
In a flip of the supposed history of Georgetown (and again: false history), civic organizations are lining up pleading with Metro to bring a Metro stop to Georgetown as soon as possible.
The BID has pulled together a statement to Metro calling for plans for a Georgetown Metro stop to be pushed as far forward as possible. The Citizens Association of Georgetown has signed on to the letter (full disclosure: GM is on the CAG Board, and, not surprisingly, supported the decision to co-sign.) And next week, at the ANC’s December session, the body will also consider signing on to the statement (which it will likely do).
Of course, those that believe Georgetowners blocked the station in the 70s will simply shift their stories to something like “Well, now they learned their lesson”. Whatever, who cares if it means we get a Metro stop?
Here’s the rest of the agenda:
ANC 2E Public Meeting
Monday, December 2, 2013
at 6:30 p.m.
We will be meeting this month at the Georgetown Visitation School, 35th and Volta Place, Heritage Room, first building on left by gatehouse, 2nd floor
Approval of the Agenda
• Approval of December 2, 2013, ANC 2E Public Meeting Agenda
• Approval of November 4, 2013, Meeting Minutes
• Public Safety and Police Report
• Financial Report – Approve 4th Quarter Financial Report
• Transportation Report
• DPW Report
• New meeting date of December 19th for the “January” ANC 2E meeting
• DC Sustainable Energy Utility – information regarding energy efficiency and renewable energy services
• First Annual Report for the 2010-2017 Georgetown University Campus Plan
• Resolution for the WMATA Board re a Metro stop in Georgetown
• Breakfast with Santa event at Volta Park December 8th
• Wisconsin Avenue lane configuration north of 34th St NW
Old Georgetown Board
SMD 03, 1351 Wisconsin Avenue, NW, OG 14-007 (HPA 14-011) (former Georgetown Theater) Commercial, Demolition, roof top addition, rear addition, alterations, Concept – revised design
SMD 05, 1230 29th Street, NW, 3111 K Street, NW, 1000 Potomac Street, NW
New concrete covers on public space for expanded vaults for Comcast, Public space permit
1. SMD 03, 3106 P Street, NW, OG 13-333 (HPA 13-601) Residence, Rear addition at second floor, Concept
2. SMD 05, 1071 Thomas Jefferson Street, NW, OG 14-038 (HPA 14-061) Mixed-use, 3-story rear addition with basement – options, Concept
3. SMD 06, 2709-2713 N Street NW, OG 14-047 (HPA 14-071) Alexander Memorial Baptist Church, Residential, Additions, alterations, site work, curb-cut, Concept