This week on Georgetown Time Machine, GM is visiting M St. at the turn of the last century. The photo comes from the archives of the Historical Society of Washington DC. It shows a horse-drawn streetcar leaving the streetcar barn on the south side of M St., just east of Wisconsin Ave.
The car barn by Key Bridge is far more familiar to current Georgetown residents. But the M St. car barn was just as substantial. It occupied what eventually became the Georgetown Park Mall. You can see it here:
GM has written about it previously. But the photo above is the first one he’s seen with a horse-drawn streetcar. It’s a car from the Washington & Georgetown streetcar company, which was started in 1862. But by the 1880s, it was introducing electric streetcars. The photo is supposedly from between 1900 and 1910. It’s unclear why a horse-drawn streetcar would still be in use at that point.
Interestingly, the building (or at least the facade) that the streetcar is leaving is still around:
(The different photos also show how the former J. Paul’s next door once had an elaborate mansard roof. It looks like it was a grocery store at the time.)