Starting this weekend, Cultural Tourism DC is bringing back their popular free Walking Town DC walking tours. Two of the tours are in Georgetown and well worth your time.
The first tour, Herring Hill of Georgetown, is led by professional tour guide Dwayne Starlin. Here are its details:
Uncover the rich history of Georgetown’s African-American communities, starting in Herring Hill, which was an 18th century community to both enslaved and freed blacks. See the churches and schools established by African-American Georgetowners during the 19th century and enjoy a stop at the Dumbarton House to hear about the slaves kept by the Nourse family.
Meet at Dumbarton Garden Gates (NW Corner of Q and 27th Streets, NW), 2715 Q St NW Saturday Sept. 14th at 10 am.
The second tour, Burleith, Georgetown Flea Market & Holy Rood Cemetery, is also led by Dwayne. It is primarily about Burleith, but will touch on the historic flea market at Hardy School and Holy Rood Cemetery is the final resting place of generations of Georgetowners, particularly black and Irish resident.
That tour will take place Sunday Sept. 15th from 10 am to 12 pm. The meeting point is Hardy Middle School.
There are many other great tours also available all over the city. As mentioned above, they’re all free, but you have to register since some get too full. So go here and check out the offerings!
Photo by Jason Paris.
Good morning Georgetown, here’s the latest:
- Call Your Mother, the bagel shop that is coming to 35th and O, was chosen as one of the best new restaurants in the country by Bon Appetite (and the only restaurant in DC).
- Anthony Lanier says he’s done building condos due to the market. (Although four years ago he said he was done building condos due to the lawsuits).
This week for Georgetown Time Machine, GM returns to the fantastic archive of the DC Historical Society. And the photo today is of the ruins of the Old Jail.
The jail stood at the foot of High Street (what is now Wisconsin Ave.) GM was unable to find a history of the building. But this is what the Georgetown African American Historic Landmark association has to say about it:
The Old Jail, sometimes called the Debtor’s Prison, was located at the base of High Street later renamed Wisconsin Avenue in 1891 when Georgetown was incorporated into Washington, DC. During 1890s the jail was supposedly used as a “Colored Mission.” The building was demolished in 1896. The Cherry Hill houses located in the rear of the jail on Cecil (Cissel) Place were built 1890. On the right of the jail, was a building erected in 1877 for the Washington Chariot Company, later sold to Washington – Georgetown Railroad Company, the first street car line in the city.
There are references to a Georgetown jail in the earliest Washington Star archives available, circa 1855. Of course since Georgetown was a city since 1751, it likely had multiple jails through its history (e.g., one stood at the Georgetown Market building location), so it’s hard to say which one these articles are referencing.
The photo itself is from the 1920s when it was already in ruins.