Inside Filomena by Il Primo Uomo.
Good morning Georgetown, here’s the latest:
- GM knew this was probably coming, but it doesn’t make it any easier to accept that Riccardo and Laura Bonino are closing up Griffin Market. The landlord is trying to jack up the rent by 40%. This landlord lives in Palm Beach and clearly is an idiot. Moreover they clearly don’t give a crap about Georgetown. On a brighter note, the Bonino’s might move on to another project in Georgetown. More details as they come along.
- Police raid Third Edition and, surprise surprise, they found a lot of fake IDs.
Last night ANC2E met for its March session. While GM wasn’t too hopeful for an interesting meeting, he really ought to know by now that it doesn’t take an exciting agenda to have a noteworthy meeting. On top of the list of items worth noting was an extended riff by Ward 2 Councilmember Jack Evans.
Councilmember Jack Evans made his semi-annual trip to ANC2E. He started out giving a stump speech on the state of the District’s finances. But from there he really just went off in a bunch of directions. For the sake of brevity, GM is just going to list the real choice quotations:
- “The District of Columbia remains one of the strongest financial entities in America, state, county, or city. Our management of our finances since the Control Board Era, 1995 and 1996 to the present, has really been astute.” (Keep in mind that Evans has been the Chair of the Finance Committee for much of that time.)
- “My goal as a resident of Georgetown has always been to improve the infrastructure of Georgetown. When I first moved here back in 1994, Georgetown was a wreck.”
- “I always think it’s a bad decision when you are starting to run deficits in your government to raise taxes to cover them because it is a short term fix for a long term problem…The only way to deal with it is to get to the structure problem, you’re spending too much money…You can never raise taxes in a recessionary environment.” (Proving once again that this isn’t really a one party town; We’ve got Republicans in office, they just call themselves Democrats). Continue reading